Skip to main content

Legends of Western Cinema Week Tag // 2020


Hey friends! 

I'm so happy to present my contribution to Hamlette and Heidi's Legends of Western Cinema 2020 blog party. Classic westerns via both the big screen and TV - and novel, but nevermind that now - or laptop screen or what have you, are one of my tip-top joyous-good things, and I could not let this week pass without joining the party!  


What's the last western you watched?


Thunderhoof (1948). 
I discovered said film through Miss Laura's review (could not love/recommend that lady's blog more BTW), was fascinated by the sound of it, and then stayed up until midnight watching it when I finally found it. I'm not sure I blinked the entire time, the intensity of it is so completely unusual and real and full of gritty emotion. 


A western of any stripe (happy or tragic) where you were highly satisfied by the ending?


Again, Thunderhoof. :) 

WARNING: ENTERING SOMEWHAT SPOILER TERRITORY AHEAD

It's just so heart-filling, yet not overly gooey, though I am SO NOT one to ever knock a good 'ol maple sappy ending. This one just felt perfect. Having had a rocky time of it, they're more than a little tired both mentally and physically; but nevertheless, they're the stronger for it and everything will be well.


The funniest western you've seen?


The Apple Dumpling Gang (1975) 
I ask you does it REALLY get any better than this?!?

What similar elements/themes show up in your favorite westerns?


I feel this could grow and mature over the years, and this is more for westerns in general; but...

The fact that good, bad, or indifferent you always see the true heart and character of the people in them. 

Of course, that is an element that can be found in war films and other such stories that put people in such challenging situations that allow them to respond with honesty. I also love the loyalty and comradery that grows between the most unexpected people, and laid-back hard-hitting, but not cruel wit.


A favorite actress, who made one or more westerns?


Angie Dickerson. 

My own answer for this actually rather surprised me as she and I did not click at all at first. I have NOT seen every western she ever did, yet, in what I have, she always brings dignity and a no-nonsense hard-working ladylike air to whatever character she is playing, and I always end up loving her.


Favorite western hero/sidekick pairing?


Clay McCord and Simon Fry + Fran McCord in The Deputy (1959-1961)

Clay's constant exasperation, tempered by his ever-present good-nature toward Simon's schemes, Fran's sisterly protection of her brother, but her ultimate grudging care of Simon, too + Simon's watchful eye over both of them. The relationship between this three-some is brilliantly done and so warm and feely to watch.


Grizzly Adams and Ben in The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1977-1978)

The ultimate sidekick story: a fugitive on the run turned mountain man and his bear. It could not be more adorable to observe and it's exactly the kind of sidekick tale I most aspire to have. I mean.. just look at that picture.

...and the Earp Brothers in My Darling Clementine (1946)

You didn't think I was going to leave them out, did you? 

Scariest villain/antagonist in a western?


I'm not sure that I would label them as the most terrifying, 
but for pure how-could-you be-so -cruel? ability: the entire passel of Clanton's in MDC
It's been years since I've first seen the film, but I have yet to forgive them in any way.

To quote Barney in an entirely different context: Oh, Virgil, Virgil, VIRGIL!


To quote Barney in an entirely different context: Oh, Virgil, Virgil, VIRGIL!

Favorite romance in a western?


Cannot, will not choose.


Wyatt Earp and Clementine in My Darling Clementine 

Their relationship is sweet, respectable, and completely hilarious.



Ringo and Dallas from Stagecoach (1966)

She is more than a little distrustful, but with a longing for good, true affection and with a gentleness just waiting for someone to need it. 

He is as quintessential cowboy as one could hope to find.

Together... perfection.

Three of your favorite westerns?


Going with TV series choices once again as they have been the main thing that I have been watching of late, and leaving aside Stagecoach, High Noon, Rio Bravo
and - guess what! - My Darling Clementine. :)

But because one can't have too many westerns to chat and love on...



The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams (1977-1978)

I overspeak not a wit when I say this is a western - no - a story like none other. It's heartwarming, hilarious, realistic, and a thing of perfect, unpretentious artistry. And just in case a man living with his bear and raccoons in a cabin in the Rockies isn't delightful enough he also has Denver Pyle as his outrageous, trapper friend, Mad Jack. I was talking with my sister Arwen just the other night about how he's exactly that steady friend that sticks by you through thick and thin, and I think that is exactly what the feel of the entire show is: it's unvarnished, straightforward, goodness, and it seriously could not be better.


Just look at that smile...


The Rebel (1959-1961)

There's nothing quite like a hero who's been through war; especially, on the losing side of that war and Johnny Yuma is an excellent example of why I love them so. With a well-controlled, but fierce temper, a thoughtful bent, and deeply conscientious, Johnny Yuma is high on my list of someone to have around if you're in a dreadful spot, and that is not something I say lightly. 
Also, the theme song is sung by Johnny Cash so there is that, too. :)


Tombstone Territory (1957-1959)

I have only seen the first season of this series so far, but oh do I love it! Not a bit beyond losing his temper or making errors in judgment, Sheriff Clay Hollister (what is it with those Clays?)  is also not above knowing his own limitations and taking no-nonsense from the "bad men" he has to deal with while still treating them like the men they can be.


Share one (or several!) of your favorite quotes from a western.


"Do you want out, Herb?"

- Will Kane (Gary Cooper), High Noon (1952)

I use this line All. The. Time. when "asking" our cats or my horse if they want out of wherever they happen to be, and it never fails to tickle my fancy.

"It means get back on your side of the fire, and STAY THERE!"

- Johnny Yuma (Nick Adams), The Rebel

"It's going to be a long, cold, ride."

"Don't lose your temper so early in the morning, you won't have any left for the rest of the day.

- Adam (Pernell Roberts), Bonanza

and for pure, sigh-worthy sweetness...


"Ma'am, I sure like that name... Clementine."

- Wyatt Earp (Henry Fonda), My Darling Clementine 

Thank you so much to Hamlette and Heidi for hosting this party! It's been so good to dig into the troves of western cinema with y'all again!

Comments

  1. Whoa, I didn't know that there was a remake of Stagecoach! Nifty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun answers. Back in the day when Grizzly Adams was first run, my youngest sister had a rag doll from a craft show that had a floppy hat and a white beard. She called him "Mad Jack."

    I have been catching some of The Deputy on YouTube but would have thought of them for the sidekick question. D'oh! Allen Case was a pretty fine singer as well. I always admire musical talent.

    "Go on home to your wife and kids, Herb."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey sis! I'm sooo happy you were able to do this!

    I like your answer to the themes question.

    And I really need to see Thunderhoof. (And MDC and The Rebel and Tombstone Territory.)

    "It means get back on your side of the fire, and STAY THERE!"

    "Don't lose your temper so early in the morning, you won't have any left for the rest of the day." (I was guilty of that this morning. Oh dear, frightful feeling. XD)

    And that last picture... sooo sweet!

    This post made me Very Happy. <3 ;)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts