Things of Beauty: July - August


More than 50% of this post could be aptly titled On the road again... but that title is the property of another post, and so we'll just keep with the classic title, because oh how beautiful these months were...


Very Favorite Things
Going to three rodeos in two months (yes, we may just have fallen in love), twenty- six days on the road (it felt REALLY good!), seeing a mama moose + her two calves so close we could have touched them (that was magic right there), the thunder of horses blowing into their feed troughs (horses just make the world feel right), the creak of saddle leather (is there any sound as thrilling?), Windfola's neck within my arms, the sweet scent of her mane filling my lungs after not seeing her for nearly four weeks (I don't think I knew how HARD I'd missed her until that moment), re-connecting with far-off family + friends (one of the best feelings in the world; I love you folks!).


Reading
Not an exhaustive list of books, but a list of the loveliest: Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey (the perfect western road-trip book if ever there was one), and... *goes to look at my Goodreads list* The Blue Castle (how can one book be so amazing?), The Elements of Style, and North to the Rails by Louis L'Amour.

Writing
I journalled every day of our Western Adventure, and I began a greatly needed re-writing of Midnight Thunder; so though I may not have done a stupendous amount, the results are pretty terrific. :)


Out-of-Doors
The sweet scent of sage mingling with the smoke of campfires, rippling mountain lakes glittering with sunshine, damp earth hidden beneath the bows of soaring cedars,  mountain vistas, and groves of aspen trees, their leaves whispering with every breeze.

In the Kitchen
Detoxinsta's Vegan Mac N' Cheese recipe - Cheesy cashew sauce with perfectly cooked gluten-free pasta and a swirl of sweet green peas; this stuff may very well be THE MOST delectable dish in the history of ever.


Discoveries

The Tetons + extreme southwestern Montana.
 I've always loved those places, but do they ever have my heart now.

Where Cowboys Ride // Sarah Darling
I'm always inclined to view a song that claims to encapsulate a place - especially if that place is my heart-country - with a doubtful eye, but with the wind of those places still on my face so to speak, listening to this song + watching the music video nearly made me cry with happiness; yes, I'd say she did a good job.

Adventure IS out there...
but it's something you carry in your heart, too, and so, with the grace of God, it's something that can color all your paths.

What were your favorite delights of July and August?

Are you excited for Fall?



Comments

  1. Okay, so technically I'm taking a break from commenting (coughcough) but I just wanted to say I love the last line of this post! "Adventure IS out there...but it's something you carry in your heart, too, and so, with the grace of God, it's something that can color all your paths." THAT'S BEAUTIFUL. <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Eowyn! Your adventure sounds (and looks) amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for autumn! It's nearly here -- I can taste it in the mornings, even if it's been in the 80s by afternoon.

    We had several adventures this summer! Going to all the major monuments in Washington DC in one day, exploring the Manassas battlefields for the first time, and having a whole host of kinfolk descend upon us. Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woooooooooow. *stares at your photos* (And Arwen's ;))

    I can't get over them. :D THEY'RE ABSOLUTELY BREATHTAKING.

    I'm so glad you got to adventure into the West again. :) I love hearing about your travels.

    THREE rodeos?? You lucky girl!!

    I re-read "The Blue Castle" recently, too! On our road trip, in fact. :D It's simply one of my favoritest stories ever. <3
    (You remind me; I really must read "Riders of the Purple Sage" soon. :))

    Your "Out of Doors" section. <3 <3 <3 You capture it all so beautifully!

    Okay. I've never heard that song before but you've now introduced me to a new favorite. THANK YOU! :D

    Your closing line is so beautiful and true. I need to remind myself of that. <3

    *hugs* Love you, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THOSE MOUNTAINS ARE SOOO BEAUTIFUL *insert row of heart-eye emojis here* this post is giving me major wanderlust. :"''')

    rock on,
    abbiee

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts