A Man Called Robin Hood


I knew, of course, that Olivia of Meanwhile, in Rivendell was hosting a Robin Hood Week, but with Many Things On My Mind I gave it but a vaguely regretful wave of the hand and carried on. But was I able to resist a party celebrating one of my favorite people? Ha, the evidence is below. Besides which Olivia is not only one of my favorite bloggers, but also an honest to goodness "real" friend, too, so I can attest that she is even more (if that's possible) sweet and hilarious face to face than she is on her blog. :)

The moment I try to assemble a favorites list of anything a dozen more of the same species always spring to mind, clamoring to have a place upon it, which rather defeats the purpose of the entire thing. All this to say, this isn't going to be a list of my favorite Robin Hoods.


Yet there are two Robins who always come to mind, the ones I admire, the ones I completely trust; it is of them I am about to speak.

First and foremost (forever and a day) Richard Greene in the 1950's BBC The Adventures of Robin Hood.


The Apple Dumpling Gang and Robin Hood what similarity do they share? Both were among the first movies I ever saw and I can hardly remember a day when their magic wasn't twining into my consciousness. Though I've spoken of my love for Apple Dumpling Gang I've hardly spoken of the other. I think it's because of that very entwining, it means home, the magic of afternoons in disguise with my sisters visiting the Blue Boar Inn or running from the Sheriff, alive with all the sparkle of Imagination.

And not a little of this was because of Richard Greene.


Ever so slightly more mature than the average Robin, he's not about to lose his head in a passion, but the twinkle in his eyes shows he knows how to have a good laugh. And believe me he gets into awkward situations with the best of them. He owns Sherwood Forest like no other Robin I've seen, yet he has no need to flaunt his powers, but deals with scoundrels with the quick turning superiority of a true knight and gentleman.

I seriously love the above photo of him, as the straightford look and the mouth with ever so slightly quirked corners assures you of everything about his character.

Completely reliable and ever so enjoyable to be with, I will be ever grateful I was raised knowing him so well, and love him very dearly indeed.

Then there is this Robin...


In the upside-down-twist-you-around-and-leave-you-hanging rollercoaster of emotions that is Ivanhoe (1982), Robin Hood is the one sure shining star. 

Throughout most of the story he's scarce more than a side character, a lieutenant walking beside the Black Knight, yet in truth he's a quick leader in his own right without which the story would have a short and violent finish.


His bow is ever ready to help the right, but you can always feel his vague distaste for intrigue, his expression of which is particularly palatable at a Certain Tragic Event; knightly deeds do not blind him from the tangled truth, he's a man of the forest, keen eyed and true.

Would you name Robin Hood as one of your friends?

Have you seen either of these Robins?




Comments

  1. AWWWWWW *blushes and hugs you* Thank you so much for your kind words, my dear friend!! RIGHT BACK AT YOU. ;D <3 <3 <3

    And thanks for participating in the week! I liked reading about your two favorite Robins. ;) Alas, I don't believe I've seen either, but they both look great, especially Richard Greene's portrayal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olivia,
      You are most welcome! And thank you so much for hosting the week! Spending time with Robin Hood always does me a world of good and this week coming in a time of especial action in my life, was a cool glass of refreshment. :)

      I really hope you can see the Ivanhoe the one Robin above is from soon because, knowing your feelings for the tale as I do, I can scarce wait to hear your thoughts!

      Delete
  2. This was so beautiful, Éowyn! I have only seen a little of Richard Greene's portrayal as Robin Hood, but you're so right. If I recall correctly, he did seem to have a more mature, steady character than most Robins, while still possessing a humorous outlook on life. I love how you described your admiration for him. He sounds like such a great hero to grow up with. :)

    Also, can I just say YES to what you said about Olivia? :D She's such a gem. <3 *group hug*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Natalie,
      I'm so glad you admire Richard Greene's Robin, too! He is seriously one of the standards by which I measure other men. ;)

      *group hug back again* I always think of the time I spent with you girls as one of the greatest and merriest of my life!!!! :)

      Delete
  3. What about Harold Warrender, Douglas Fairbanks and Errol Flynn? Think the 1938 movie is often considered the best Robin Hood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gentle reader,
      In no way did I mean to disparage any of the gallant gentlemen you listed above. this was simply a post honoring the impact these two men had on my life. :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you very much for your fast and kind reply! I discovered your nice Blog when searching for Ivanhoe 1952, one of the favourite movies of mine. I especially like the fact that someone does these old gems justice as they disappear more and more from television. Best regards from Germany Mario

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts