In the Fall of the year

Captured by the Word has not really seen much of my life of late except that connected to my writing, and, I’m happy with that.

via Pinterest

But I also have more and this summer has really been teaching that bit of me a great deal. For instance that things like sleep, green smoothies, horsey breath, dog cuddles, exercise, and prayer are most certainly not overrated. Yes, but most of all prayer, because with it you can indeed get up every two to three hours three nights in a row to take care of a dying kitty, and strangely enough the entire raw tear wrenching-ness of the experience makes the connection of prayer all the more sweet.

via Google

And really though I wish there was a less tragic way to learn that surety, it is still wonderful to know that heavenly lining. Another thing is that not only is He there in His Spirit, all about you, but almost always He has given us mortal beings physical comforts, for me they are the warm dusty scent of horse hair (I firmly believe that there are few better scents in this world), a siblings hug, or my comforters of old, the ones I would run to from my earliest memories when any sadness came to me, the dogs.

via Google

All our dogs are good at it, but the sweetest about it are the Labrador Bree –she’s the one we’ve had the longest – and the shepherd Rufus; his eyes are just so tender and sympathizing. For as Bloodthirsty Dave would say, dogs really do have a hearts as big as the isle of Japan, so never underestimate their sympathy.

via Google

Altogether this summer has had so many wonderful blessings, that even with the challenges and bitter pills to take, incredible though it feels to say it I feel that it’s been one of my favorites so far, I feel I know and feel so much more than I did a mere twelfth month ago. I have started a book I’m seriously planning on finishing. I have grown in my relationship with Windfola. I have met new people face to face and most particularly through blogging (something I have grown to very much enjoy!) I planted some beans and squash, that actually grew!  I discovered what I think may be my favorite flower, if there can be such a thing (Hello Black Eyed Susan Vine!)  I have grown closer both to my family and my Savior. And looking back on it everything He has ever gone through with me has always had something to learn from it.

via Google

And now summer is past. The nights are cooling, the leaves are drifting from the trees, golden rod and other golden flowers are thick along the back roads and altogether it’s the time that is perfect for discovering those gravel roads that are mere minutes from your driveway, but hold the wind of adventure. I’m starting to dream of cantering over the hills, of crackling sweeps of yellow and red leaved maple trees of the kind I knew in the NW, of travel in general to the places I used to live, of plaid riding tunics, and long sleeved dresses.

via Google

Perhaps this post has been a bit of a goodbye to this lovely summer, but it is more of a hello to fall. Because lovely things - and challenges – never stop ebbing and flowing, and I know that plaid dress and traveling or not, this season is going to be beautiful. 

Comments

Popular Posts