Thanks to Miss Dashwood for organizing this party!
1. What musical did you pick to "spotlight" this week and why?
After much deliberation and weighty thought I decided upon Brigadoon (1954) with Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse, because a.) IMHO it is the most beautiful, romantic, and humorous musical ever and b.) picking it gives me an excuse to watch it yet again–yay!
2. If you had to pick three favorite songs from your musical, which ones would they be?
“I'll Go Home with Bonnie Jean”, “The Wedding Dance”, and “Heather on the Hill”. The first is merry, the second is dramatic, and the third is filled with romance and glorious dancing.
3. What's your least favorite song from your musical?
None. I think they are all beautiful and fit perfectly in the film.
4. Who are your favorite characters (choose up to three)?
First and second place are easy: the hero and the heroine, of course, but third place is harder to pick. Should it be Jeff, Tommy's friend with the ironic sense of humor? Or the kindhearted Dominie? I think I will dispense third place to the masses and stand in the village square singing, “Ye all have a place in mine heart!”
5. Is this your favorite musical of all time? If not, what is?
Brigadoon is definitely my favorite, but the Julie Andrews Cinderella comes in a very close second.
6. What is your favorite costume from your musical?
Fiona's brown dress with the dark orange petticoat that she wears when gathering (and dancing) “Heather on the Hill”. I also love the little detail of how Tommy's orange t- shirt matches her petticoat.
7. Which role(s) would you most like to play in any musical, if you had the opportunity to do so on stage?
If this were a perfect world and I could dance like a prima ballerina and act like–(well, Cyd Charisse!)–my first choice would surely be Fiona from Brigadoon. I love her story, the rest of the story, everything about the entire musical! And my second choice would be (surprise) Cinderella from the Rogers & Hammerstein musical.
8. Do you consider yourself a musical theatre fan in general or do you just like a few musicals?
I am in the early stages of my “musicals” education and I have not seen an enormous amount of the above, however, I have enjoyed the greater portion of the ones I have seen and am most certainly an eager student in my studies!
9. Are you tired of the word "musical" yet?
10. Turn your music playing device on shuffle (or utilize Pandora if you don't have one) and tell us the names of the first three show tunes that come up-- no cheating! How do these rank on your favorites/most-listened-to list?
At the moment (on my current device) I can't do shuffle or Pandora, but I'm quite certain it would be something from Brigadoon or Phantom of the Opera (specifically the 25th Anniversary Concert). :-)