Things of Beauty: September - October

(just look at those lashes!)

Not a great deal really happened in September + October and yet they felt ridiculously full...

Very Favorite Things
Picking apples on a lazy, hazy, September afternoon, purchasing my new western saddle(!!!) (I'm officially broke, but it's a thing of beauty + a joy forever, so it's all good), my new bullet journal set-up (little black book with the dotted pages, how you've changed my life), Heidi and John having their baby girl(!) (I still can't believe the fact that I'm an A.U.N.T), enormous pumpkins (+ watching Arwen try to defend them from being chewed to pieces by the new kitten), THE NEW KITTEN aka Ger Ger (he's cuddly + deep orange + the scrappiest little fighter you've ever seen), dashing out into frosty darkness to give Windfola her evening apple.


Reading
Several EPIC novels: The Call of the Canyon, In My Father's House, and Wife for Sale (trust me, the story is not as wacky as its title :)). Also, A Million Little Ways by Emily P. Freeman; that work is seriously a firework in book form, an exhilarating smash of tingling sparkles with a boom that only resounds deeper as you remember the individual bits of beauty that make up the glorious whole.

Writing
Western short story work (yes once again, :)) + blogging.


Out-Of-Doors
Crisp fall drives through Amish country painted with vivid color.

In the Kitchen
Copious amounts of Crisp Apple Streusel + gallons upon gallons of homemade applesauce (is there anything as delectable as the scent of it bubbling away on the stove?)


Discoveries

I haven't seen/don't approve of some of the films on this list, but I'm familiar with nearly all and, headed by High Noon and featuring Rio Bravo (110% agreement there) and My Darling Clementine (cue all the emotions)I found this list rather fun reading; besides which all the featured best lines are terrific, but hey, what western ever has REALLY bad lines?

Oversized flannel shirt + jeans + cowboy boots
The outfit that feels like I've returned to my heart place + makes me feel like I can conquer the world.

What were your favorite delights of September + October?
What outfit makes you feel like you can DO. IT. ALL?

Comments

  1. Okay, that list, though... wow. First, I'm all happy because they have Shane on it AND The Sons of Katie Elder. Those both get left off such lists too often for my taste. I am therefore not going to argue with their other selections. There are only 3 there I haven't seen, I think.

    Congrats on getting your own western saddle! That must be truly wonderful :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hamlette,
      Only three you haven't seen!? You are SERIOUSLY amazing. :)

      And yes, the saddle is a dream come true. :)

      Delete
    2. Well, remember that I've been watching westerns for most of my 37 years, and grew up with a dad who loved them too. So I've seen loads of them.

      I have not seen Lonesome Dove (I have a copy, just haven't watched it yet), No Country for Old Men, and Comanche Station.

      I saw Vera Cruz and Pale Rider so long ago, I really don't remember them, so maybe I should put them on the list of ones I haven't seen. I've only seen part of Once Upon a Time in the West, but I disliked it so much, I quit watching it.

      Delete
  2. My younger sister got a kitten too! I love kitties. Ours is black/gray with carmel/white/cream "underfur" and patches. We girls think she's darling, but Dad say she looks like a bat. . . her ears are rather large. Her name is Luna but we also call her "the Smush."

    I really need to try to get on the Western bandwagon . . . my first attempts I came up with some ROTTEN ones . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Livia Rachelle,
      Ahhh, she sounds SO ADORABLE! Well bats are cute in their own way, too. ;) Kittens/cats in general, dashing about or sleeping as their whims take them, are one of the Happiest things in life, don't you think?

      *rubs hands in glee* You should. :) Giving movie recommendations is fraught with difficulty, but have you seen Rio Bravo (I have a review of it on "High Noon" if you're interested in more details) or My Darling Clementine? Those two are just plain classic. I would add High Noon as well, but be warned that one tends to either love it or hate it. :) There are also a slew of fun B-westerns such as Nevada w/ Robert Mitchum. I'm really curious, what were the ones you disliked? (Unless of course they are TOO dreadful to even be named. :))

      Delete
    2. Well, tons of people post about their favorite Westerns. And I usually get my book and movie recommendations from my favorite blogs. But for some reason I just decided to Google a top Western list. And that was where I went wrong. I got Lonesome Dove. I didn't finish it. I should have stopped it sooner. It took a bit for some of the vulgarities to penetrate my brain and the thought of my parents and younger sisters popping in for me to turn it off. Immorality, vulgarity, violence, and a PSYCHOPATH. Yeah. Then after a long period I did watch one mentioned on a blog post: Ox Bow, mainly because it had Dana Andrews. It was boring and unjust all at once and Dana Andrews did NOT fit his roll. I'll probably get around to amending my list. I'll definitely add the ones you mentioned. I think I have High Noon on it. I think most of the rest have been mentioned on the blogs I read. Just apparently not the first I chose. Just my luck.

      Delete
    3. *Role*

      And yes, kittens and cats are Some of My Favorite Things. It is just so fun to watch Luna play or sleep.

      Delete
  3. Ahh, I love your Things of Beauty posts. *hugs them* (And you! :))

    A new western saddle? Hooray! That sounds very exciting.

    YAY again for Heidi and John's baby! And for you on being Aunt Éowyn now. I'm so happy for you all. ♥

    Awwwww. Kittens are simplest the sweetest.

    I'm definitely going to have to read "A Million Little Ways". :D

    We don't live in an Amish area, but I love it when we visit one! Their way of life is really fascinating and peaceful. (I love that picture you took of the buggy!)

    I have never had homemade apple sauce and now you're making me very eager to try some. :D

    I love how you've been incorporating "feet" shots into your recent things of beauty posts! Ahh, your outfit looks so adorable! And yes indeedy about the "conquer the world" feeling with certain outfits. Ever since I bought my first pair of cowboy boots (I talked about them in my vlog on my private blog in case you never heard :)) I'm in AWE at how confident they make me feel. Maybe some of the grit and determination of the cowboys of old are sewn into every pair of cowboy boots. ;)

    RIO BRAVO. ♥

    I loved this post, dear friend. *hugs* I'm really happy to hear life has been full and sparkling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray for picking apples! I got to do that too, this year. Last year I think my family missed the season. :P But I'm glad you had fun! Also, good luck on writing your story!
    -Amaris

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your writing! I didn't go apple picking this year, but it is something I love to do. Looking forward to future posts.
    Sanjana

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts