Friday, February 3, 2017

Things of Beauty: January

In previous years I've done my collectives every two months. This year I've decided to be Proactive and Ambitious. I'm going to do them every month.
 So in proper form here is the beginning, behold...

January



Very Favorite Things
Deep crunchy snow (which equals the best sledding I've ever known), my bright eyed and bushy-tailed kitten kitchen helper ( I was going to get a photo of him, but then he went to climb on the dish shelf...), Lara Casey and her blog (more below), being lost in turn-of-the-century Appalachia in the middle of the famous Hatfield-McCoy feud (very safely, thanks to The Feud by Dean King)... and also everything in this post.


Reading
The Feud: The Hatfields and McCoys, The True Story by Dean King. Oh I read other things, too, but this was the story of the month. Never have I had a more spellbinding reading experience.
It captured my imagination so greatly during the day that I dreamt about it at night and that is rare indeed for me. :)


Writing
I finished my first Western short story! It was uncharted territory for me and I still need to edit, but it has been written! One afternoon I sat down to edit, became lost in reading some snatches of story for my medieval tale ... and ended up writing an entire scene for it. The experience opened new depths in the story for me and ended up being quite achingly grand, which, while quite surprising for me, left me tripping over myself with joy.


Watching
The first season of F Troop - Hands down the wittiest western I've ever seen. Wilton and Wrangler Jane are pretty much the most adorable couple ever; they are almost cute beyond BELIEF.

Funny Face (1957) -  Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire are just perfect together. It is one of the most sigh-worthy bits of loveliness I've ever seen

And... I've mentioned it before but I must again Felicity: An American Girl Adventure. Every moment  of this film is simply brimming with charm and happy feels.


In the Kitchen
Hemp Hearts on my breakfast Chocolate Smoothie Bowl - They are the most incredibly delicious bits of edible goodness EVER. Also, Butternut Squash Black Bean Enchiladas aka the definition of healthfulness in its yummiest form.


Discoveries 
Beloved Harvest (a Blog)
The writer has worked on a ranch, trains horses, takes photos, and writes splendid I'm-feeling-every-word posts about the West and life in general. Do toddle over and read her "About" page or her Leaving a Wild Land post and most especially this one; yes ma'am, this lady is seriously amazing.

Lara Casey's 2017 Goal-Setting Series
Her enthusiasm about living your goals each and every day, and gusto for living in general, is completely infectious and I'm uber excited about practicing her ideas in February.

Journaling
Be it putting down a thing or two that I've been thinking about that day, or a tangible moment such as an evening laced thickly with stars, I've found I just like it again, and that makes me very happy.

The Jive
 Swing with the gung-ho happiness of rock-n-roll; that's the Jive. Between the crazy fun moves and laughing-so-hard-I-can-hardly-breath, I always finish dancing exhausted and totally happy.

What were some of the delights of your January?



5 comments:

  1. I saw you were reading the Hatfields and McCoys book on Goodreads and I was super intrigued....I hope I can find it and read it! If there's one story in history that grabs me it's theirs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodness!! I didn’t know about western series!! When I had when such thing was created? Huh? Thank you for this information because I like watching western movies on TV.
    For the rest, congratulation for your writing, I love written and I have a few novels written by myself, but they are not published. They are for me hehee.
    :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just wanted to let you know that I tagged you over at my blog. Here's the link, if you're interested. :)
    http://marchramblings.blogspot.com/2017/02/sunshine-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh, I wish *I* had a kitten helper in the kitchen! I usually just have a dog underfoot. Who doesn't help much. :P

    Isn't dreaming about stories you love one of the BEST things? :D

    A Western short story?? Ohhhh, how wonderful! If you ever plan on sharing it, well, I'm here. ;) Also, I think this is the first I've heard of your medieval tale? I'd love to hear more of that, too. :)

    Some delights of my January have been sewing a dress for summer (with my mom's help ;)), reading "The Ilyon Chronicles" by Jaye L. Knight, and writing more of my 1940's NaNo novel. :D

    I'm super excited for your ambition of posting "Things of Beauty" every month!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You wrote a western! AWESOMESAUCE!!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...