Tuesday, February 14, 2017

I Love Austen Week Tag

What better say I than a good old Jane Austen Tag for Valentine's Day? So here, courtesy of the one and only Hamlette and her lovely party, are my answers - 


Which did you experience first, a Jane Austen book or a movie based on one?
Pride and Prejudice in audiobook form. We listened to it aloud so many times! I think we even listened to it when moving across the country. So yes, even though I wouldn't say it is my favorite it was a story that has always been with me, as in fact, have all of her stories. :) 


What is your favorite Austen book?
Sense and Sensibility or Mansfield Park; however, Persuasion is very short and sweet... 


Favorite heroine? Why do you like her best?
Fanny. She is sweet and gentle, yet refuses to be swayed by the opinions of anyone. 


Favorite hero? Why do you like him best?
My favorite Austen gentleman is surprisingly enough Tom in Mansfield Park (more on that anon), but for heroes... Never, never did I think I would be saying this, but I really think it might be Captain Wentworth; however, Colonel Brandon and Edward come in as very close seconds. 

As for reasons for admiration... Colonel Brandon is the most gentlemanly man I've ever known, Edward has glints of humor and Captain Wentworth just has a zing about him. 


Do you have a favorite film adaptation of Austen's work?
The '08 Sense and Sensibility is STUNNING in my opinion, the '81 adaptation of the same is lovely and the '95 Pride and Prejudice and the '09 Emma  are simply definitive things, but the one I love best overall and for everything that makes it up is the '07 Persuasion 


Have your Austen tastes changed over the years?
Not really.


If you could ask Jane Austen one question, what would you ask her?
"Miss Jane, do you enjoy riding?"


Imagine someone is making a new film of any Jane Austen story you choose, and you get to cast the leads. What story do you want filmed, and who would you choose to act in it?
Ha, I have no idea! I'm actually quite content with the adaptations there are so I haven't really got strong feelings about the matter. It would be fine perhaps to have another, more lavish Mansfield Park, but in many ways I think the 1986's couldn't be topped so there it is. :)


Share up to five favorite Jane Austen quotations!
Random Austen sayings are always coming to mind, especially in regards to certain branches of society, but my very favorite (especially as done by Jeremy Northam) is Mr. Knightley's: EmMMA! :)

" 'I see what you think of me,' said he gravely; 'I shall make a very poor figure in your
 journal to-morrow.'

'My journal!'

'Yes; I know exactly what you will say: - Friday went to the Lower Rooms; wore my sprigged muslin robe with blue trimmings - plain black shoes - appeared to much advantage; but was strangely harassed by a queer, half-witted man, who would make me dance with him, and distressed me by his nonsense.' "
- Northanger Abbey

"A lady's imagination is very rapid; it jumps from admiration to love, from love to matrimony in a moment."
Pride and Prejudice


" 'My Dear Admiral, that post! - we  shall certainly take that post.'
But by coolly giving the reins a better direction herself, they happily passed the danger; and by once afterwards judiciously putting out her hand, they neither fell into a rut or ran foul of a dung-cart; and Anne, with some amusement at their style of driving, which she imagined no bad representation of the general guidance of their affairs, found herself safely deposited by them at the cottage."
- Persuasion 

Finally... this may seem a rather odd choice, but for various reasons it is one of the most memorable to me -

"The sufferings Lady Bertram did not see had little power over her fancy; and she wrote very comfortably about agitation and anxiety, and poor invalids, till Tom was actually conveyed to Mansfield, and her own eyes had beheld his altered appearance. Then, a letter which she had been previously preparing for Fanny was finished in a different style, in the language of real feeling and alarm; then, she wrote as she might have spoken. 'He is just come, my dear Fanny, and is taken 
up-stairs; and I am so shocked to see him, that I do not know what to do. I am sure he has been very ill. Poor Tom; I am quite grieved for him, and very much frightened, and so is Sir Thomas; and how glad I should be if you were here to comfort me. But Sir Thomas hopes he will be better to-morrow, and says we must consider his journey.' " 
- Mansfield Park 

And now I want to go read every single one of these books again!

Thank you so much for the great questions, Hamlette! I greatly enjoyed answering them. :)



8 comments:

  1. I like Tom Bertram too, especially from the 08 version. I like the conflicted ones, the ones with growth needs who aren't villains like Frank Churchill (why does everyone class him with all the rakes?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your answers! They're pretty unique compared to the traditional favorites. And I love the quote from Northanger Abbey about the journal; Mr. Tilney's teasing humor is so delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bit about being distressed by someone's nonsense pops into my head fairly often, hee!

    You've made me want to try out an Austen audiobook on my next long trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my word! I had NO IDEA there were so many Austen movies put there!!! I need to see them! :) Were all the pictures in this post from the different versions?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm really curious now to hear more about why you like Tom Bertram. He has such a small part in the book I never thought of him as being someone you could really get to know. This is very intriguing. Please do tell us more. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so glad to see Fanny is your favorite heroine! She's so underrated and deserves more love. She's much more admirable than people realize.

    "EmMMA!" Haha! I love Jeremy's Mr. Knightley. <3

    Ooh yes, please do tell us more about why you like Tom Bertram. I remember you saying you liked him best when I asked you the night we all were watching "Belle". I'd love to hear more of your reasons for liking him. :)

    As a side note, Tom IS rather handsome in the 1983 Mansfield, isn't he? ;) Heehee.

    Loved your answers!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely answers!! Enjoyed reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Fanny too. She is the heroine I both relate to and strive to be more like. It's been so long since I've read the book, though, and I cannot remember much about Tom Bertram. I'm curious to look at his character again next time I read. :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...