Wednesday, January 25, 2017

My Heart's In The Highlands


My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer,
A-chasing the wild deer and following the roe--
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go!

Farewell to the Highlands, farewell to the North,
The birthplace of valour, the country of worth!
Wherever I wander, wherever I rove,
The hills of the Highlands for ever I love.


Farewell to the mountains high cover'd with snow,
Farewell to the straths and green valleys below,
Farewell to the forests and wild-hanging woods,
Farewell to the torrents and loud-pouring floods!

My heart's in the Highlands, my heart is not here,
My heart's in the Highlands a-chasing the deer,
A-chasing the wild deer and following the roe--
My heart's in the Highlands, wherever I go


I always seem to forget how much I love poetry; the whisper of dreams made tangible, the sweetness of beauty so plain.  In addition I've never really known much about Robert Burns except to have a vague idea that some of his most lovely poems had not so lovely double meanings. But then I happened to find out that it is his birthday today (thanks Goodreads!) and then I read the above. I still canna say about the rest of his work, but this, this is a whisper of loveliness, and reading it is a celebration all itself. 

My heart is not here... does it not simply sing with the song of Eternity put in our hearts? The words tingle and burn with the excitement of it and that is true art. 

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree! The Scottish Highlands are my ancestors home and I'm yearning to get back there

    ReplyDelete
  2. I long to go to Scotland. It's so such a beautiful country!

    storitorigrace.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh, this is beautiful. I don't read poetry at all (except for such times as this, when my friends post poems on their blogs ;)) but I *do* want to try some and expand my horizons. I've always liked "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening" by Robert Frost. Have you read any of his works? Do you have any favorite poets?

    ReplyDelete
  4. How beautiful! I love it when bloggers post good poetry like this; I have such a store of them I want to use on my blog. :) I read the poem in a Scottish accent in my head! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s double points to you. I love The Scottish Highlands even when I never saw it. Just reading books I could say I know something about this place and I fell in love.
    And the poetry is wonderful, too.
    :D

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...